The true story of a clandestine mission hatched by the US and Israel to sabotage an underground Iranian nuclear facility told from the perspective of Stuxnet, a sophisticated cyber weapon, and a key NSA informant. Audiences experience the high stakes of cyber warfare placed inside the invisible world of computer viruses.
Based on the Participant Media feature-length documentary Zero Days Directed by Alex Gibney, Zero Days VR introduces a new dimension to the original feature by telling the story from a perspective that wasn’t possible before the emergence of virtual reality. The Zero Days VR experience visualizes the story of Stuxnet in a new way: audiences will be placed inside the invisible world of computer viruses experiencing the high stakes of cyber warfare at a human scale.
Zero Days VR tells the Stuxnet story through two main characters: the Stuxnet virus, and an anonymous NSA informant who testifies about a cyber mission hatched by allies with clashing agendas.
Zero Days VR explores the next chapter of modern warfare through the story of Stuxnet: the first cyber weapon in the world known to cause real-world physical damage. Audiences experience the invisible world of cyber warfare through the perspective of the Stuxnet virus on a clandestine mission hatched by the US and Israel to sabotage an underground Iranian nuclear facility.
Zero Days VR highlights how this digital threat is closer to home than we realize, representing a new chapter in modern warfare.
- Directed by: Yasmin Elayat
- Technology Director: Elie Zananiri
- Production: Scatter
- Design Director: Bradley G Munkowitz
- Lead Designer / Compositor: Michael Rigley
- Lead VR Artist: Thomas Meduri
- Animation & Software Development: Elie Zananiri + David Gochfeld + Kevin Watters
- Original Music & Sound Design: Antfood
- Full list of credits on the project website.
- Sundance Festival
VR Palace, Park City, USA
19 - 29 Jan 2017
- SFFilm Festival: VR Days
Yerba Buena Center for the Arts, San Francisco, USA
9 - 10 Apr 2017
- Vision VR/AR Summit
Loews Hollywood Hotel, Los Angeles, USA
1 - 2 May 2017
- Cannes NEXT
Marché du Film, Cannes, France
18 May 2017
- Electric South: Virtual Encounters
The American Corner, Cape Town, South Africa
8 - 10 Jun 2017
Realities+D, Barcelona, Spain
14 - 17 Jun 2017
- Paris Virtual Film Festival
Forum des Images, Paris, France
30 Jun - 2 Jul 2017
I’m floating in cyberspace, and it’s beautiful. A tunnel of sleek metallic tubes telescopes before me, criss-crossing into TRON-like circuit board cities that make it clear that I’m inside of a computer. I’m surrounded by information: infographics pulsing red and blue below me, elongated frames of news footage zooming past my eyes, their soundbites echoing in my ears—were I not wearing a virtual reality headset I’d be sure I could reach out and touch data itself.
– How to See Stuxnet? ‘Zero Days’ Filmmakers Find an Unlikely Answer in VR - Creators Project, Jan 26 2017.
I had that rare feeling when I go through a VR experience and think, “This changes things.”
– Become the Virus in Zero Days VR: A Revolutionary Immersive Documentary – VRScout, Feb 2 2017.
Now, the team behind some of the film’s visual effects has developed a 20-minute VR adaptation of the two-hour film, and it’s just as enthralling.
– Stuxnet Documentary ‘Zero Days’ Gets Thrilling VR Version – PC Magazine, Jun 12 2017.